The Easter Dress

Have you ever found yourself looking at a dress in a store thinking "that would be so cute in another color!", or trying on pants and determining that they are too big in one area, but too small in another? I have had these problems and because of that I took it upon myself to learn to sew. I have always wanted to be able to make anything for myself that I would want to wear and to customize things to my liking. That way, I am sure to have the perfect outfits!
My first few projects included a sewing machine cover, burp cloths, a medium size bag, a tree skirt, and a quilt (which is not finished by the way because it's expensive to have someone long arm quilt!!). Here are a few pictures of some of my first projects.



I recently decided that for my friends wedding present, I was going to make her a custom quilt for her and her new hubby's bed. That is currently in progress... In the mean time, I needed something to occupy my creative side, since sewing together rectangles doesn't cut it for me.

So I decided to make myself an Easter dress! I used simplicity sewing pattern #2444 that I ordered online. I got the fabric from Fabric.com and my local JoAnn Fabrics.

Based on the body measurements on the back of the packet, I decided to make a size 10. This size called fro 3 1/4 yards of 45" fabric for the bodice and skirt, and since I'm not adding sleeves, a tie, or a collar, I ordered 3 1/2 yards, just to be safe.

However, the skirt layout suggested by the pattern did not work! The skirt pieces were too large for the fabric! I couldn't believe it!
Thankfully, I had also gotten 4 yards of white fabric to make the dress double thickness (the grey fabric was a little see through), so I just got creative and added a white band on the bottom of the skirt.
To make it double thickness, I just cut out the same pieces in the white fabric and basted them to the grey. Then I began sewing the dress as normal. It seems to have worked well! 
I have yet to finish the neck and arm hole edges, hem the bottom, or add a zipper, but it looks pretty darn good! Then I tried it on... 

It's way too big in the bodice!! 

Ok, so now I have to get creative again! The actual fabric piece I cut seems to be too large for my chest, even though it says it should be perfect on the back of the pattern package. So after doing a little research on tailoring dresses I have decided my next steps will be as follows: 
1. Sew in the zipper, just so I'm sure it's too big! 
2. Take out darts in bodice and re-position them. 
3. Cut top and arm holes of bodice to reshape the neck line and shoulders to fit! 
4. Take in side seam. 
5. Finish raw edges. 
I also would like to add a lining, but that might have to wait! Easter is coming up so quickly I can't even believe it!

I have decided that I also would like to have a sweater to wear with this dress, so I ordered a pretty pink yarn from Knit Picks that I will (some day) use to make this pretty little petal yoke cardigan from a vintage pattern! I think it'll look great with the dress. 

Well that's all for now! Happy Knitting (and sewing!)!

Sara




Comments

Popular Posts